Let’s be honest, being a salesperson isn’t easy. There are many attributes that come with the career that can lead to fear. The two biggest fears of a salesperson are product knowledge and rejection. Here are a few tips to help you overcome those fears and get you saddled up to do your best.
Fear of lack of knowledge about what you’re selling.
- First off, if you are going out there to really help a buyer and answer their needs, you need to have a solid knowledge of your product / service. So the obvious answer right off is to do your homework and know your product / service better than anyone else. This expertise will give you a boost in self esteem and honesty, increasing your persuasiveness.
- In order to make a sale, you must connect with your buyer with a foundation of trust. What equals true trust? Personal characteristics and knowledge. Bring your honesty and integrity, and combine it with a deep understanding of your business, competitors and your buyer’s company, and you’ve got the winnings to deliver value.
Fear of being rejected by your prospect.
- Understand that there will be times when you don’t get a bite. However, that doesn’t always mean it is a “no”. Most of the time, it’s a “not now”. Even more reason to build that relationship, regardless of the outcome.
- Realize that sales success is a numbers game. It takes about 12 contacts to make a sale. So if you’re not constantly working at it and attempting, you will be at a dead end.
- Make every rejection a chance to learn. Seek opportunity wherever you go. Getting feedback from the customer and analyzing the loss will build you.
For salesforce training, give us a call and we’d be happy to discuss more about how you can overcome your fears.